Try'n to Catch You Up!

Hello everyone,

So last week (Thursday) the WatSan group came to my community to clean the water reservoir and some individual house tanks. We spent the first part of the morning making our way up the waterline, all the way up from the road. After a bit, I went to clean and family’s water tank. Actually I had to climb into it, which wasn’t so bad because it was blazing hot. The chlorine that we used to scrub down the walls did however burn a little bit of my skin…but apparently that’s just how you do it isBulleted List WatSan

Friday we headed up to Ayas. It is a small community high up in the mountains. Well it is high compared to my community, but overall 10,000 ft really isn’t that high in Peru. It was nice to finally be somewhere that isn’t dry and dust filled. We hiked up for a little over an hour, and then stopped off at a small waterfall to eat lunch. Afterwards we continued up the mountain for another hour. I couldn’t believe how far up the mountain the towns pipeline went. The beginning of the spring, where the water is collected, was easily an hour and a half away from the town if you were moving steadily. It made me think of how hard it must have been before they had the water system set up. Its hard to imagine having to get water from that source everyday. The trip took all day, and by the time we were coming back down the mountain it started to pour. When the rainy season starts, it really starts! It didn’t rain at all the fist month we were here, and then within a week I rained two or three times I think. However, I think that is not usually the way it goes. Depending on what site I get, the rainy season could have a huge effect on my first couple months. If I am in the mountains, or on the north coast, the rain can make it seriously difficult to get anything done, or even get around for that matter.

Saturday our class let out really early, so I headed into Lima with a few of my friends. We headed in to do some shopping at this renowned market, where everything is cheap…most certainly illegally. Afterwards we headed over to Mira Flores, which is basically the tourist part of town. The first time we went with out class I really didn’t notice as many tourists as I did this time. It was pretty weird actually. One of our main goals was to find a place that sells Guinness. The need for a dark beer was growing strong among the men folk! But unfortunately we didn’t find anywhere, and that was after searching high and low. We did however get directed to a middle eastern restaurant, which was really great because it was completely different from what we have been eating. We had originally planned on being home by the early evening, but of course that didn’t happen. Didn’t really do anything that night because I was exhausted by the time we got home.

Sunday was the day that the really well known country club, right next to Yanacoto, opened it’s doors to visitors. It is a pretty big event for a lot of the local people, who could never even dream of affording the membership fee. It is amazing, and pretty sad, how a wall can separate two distinct ways of life. Here the grass was green (and in existence) and there were pools and restaurants, and all sorts of things that seemed so out of place when they were a few short steps away from the place I am not living. However, it was a good time. I went with Chris and my oldest host brother, Carlos. There are several bingo games that people love to play, hopefully to win the grand prize. We only stayed for a few hours because we all had things to get done.

This work week hasn’t been too exciting. Classes have pretty much been the same, although the urge to stay in beg and sleep straight through the hours and hours of lecture and Spanish classes is only growing exponentially. It seems to be a shared feeling amongst the group.

Tuesday we did go into a museum in Lima. That was interesting. The most interesting part was the exhibit on the top floor, which is dedicated to the time of terrorism in Peru. It really represents both sides well, and is quite moving. The entire museum is also made of solid cement, so it gives an extra eerie feeling to the exhibit. That night (last night) was also great because it was the first time I played soccer in almost four weeks. It was really great being back out there with my friends. It is by far the best way to let of steam. My ankle didn’t hurt very much, which was great, but was stiff today.

Tomorrow we are heading south again for a couple of days. We are going to a current WatSan volunteer’s site out side of Pisco, which is in the department of Ica. I believe the town is called Bernales, but don’t hold me to that. It was greatly effected by the earthquake of 2007. We are going to be building latrine and latrine related things Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning. We have been told that this is definitely going to be a roughing it type trip, and that in order to get all of our work completed it might require very few hours of sleep. YAY! Something that really excites all of us! But really, I’m actually looking forward to getting out and working. The two other programs (health and environment) already left for their trip. They are going up in the mountains of Ancash.

So when I get back I’ll write to tell you how it went. Happy early Halloween to you all!

2 comments:

Dani said...

Hope you're feeling better!!

Unknown said...

I do too. Hope you are feeling better!

Post a Comment